Joie (hymnia) wrote,

  • Mood:

most this amazing

I've been sick with a cold the last week or so, and it's turned into a persistent, hacking cough. I started to turn a corner yesterday, but the cough's still pretty bad. It's been keeping both me and my parents awake at night, so they, er, strongly encouraged me to see the doctor and now I'm on special cough syrup and an inhaler. I have to admit, the medicine(s) have helped immensely.

Anyway, because of the illness I've been staying in and resting much more than usual. (Even without a job, I usually find plenty of reasons to go out and about, but not so much this week.) But yesterday I was thinking it's time to get back to life, at least a little bit. Well, today life decided to get back to me.

First, I had the job interview for Mad Science, which is an organization that does science lessons/labs/demos for elementary school kids. They run a number of different programs in this vein, but the job I interviewed for was to go to local elementary schools to run after school programs in six-week courses. Anyway, I went in and talked to them a while and it sounded like a great program, and they seemed eager to hire me. As it turns out, they had more schools than usual sign up for their fall program, and they were understaffed. I had submitted my application a while back and they had kept it on file because they didn't need me at the time, but recognized that I had the right skills and experience for the job.

Then they emailed me last week because now they have an urgent need—so urgent, in fact, that they wanted me to start TOMORROW. 0_o I didn't really feel ready for that, because this cough is still hanging on and my vocal chords are not in the best shape to be orating science concepts to grade schoolers. But it's too good an opportunity to pass up, and they were very persuasive. So I agreed to do it on the spot, and they got me right in on training. I spent the day learning more about the program, and looking at some of the lab kits with one of the other teachers, and then I went with her to observe her doing a lesson—the same one I will teach tomorrow at another school.

All the Mad Scientists have a nickname, and so they told me to think of what I would like to be called. They are usually either rhyming or alliterative. And so, a poll:

Poll #1792153 Mad Scientist Nickname

What should my Mad Scientist nickname be?

Jumpin' Joie
Jurassic Joie
Jointed Joie
Jungle Joie
Bouyant Joie
Geodesic Joie
Something else (make suggestions, plz!)

It was a LONG day. The training itself wasn't too bad, but the fact that I locked my keys in my car (I swear I have NEVER done that before) meant I had to go a bit out of my way riding with the other teacher to the school. (In the meantime, my wonderful mother drove to the Mad Science office to rescue my keys from my car and leave them at the office for me to pick up when we got back.) Then I had to go straight to an appointment with one of my private tutoring clients, and she needed more help than usual with an especially difficult assignment, so I spent extra time with her. I got home at close to 7:00.

Then, when I got home, my mom casually mentioned that she was having some sort of chest pain this evening. I was like, “Mom, what are you thinking?!” I made her call the nurse hotline, and of course the nurse told her to call 911. So she and my Dad spent the rest of the evening in the ER. The EKG was normal, but they felt, all things considered, that she needed to see a cardiologist soon and make sure there were no issues. I doubt anything is seriously wrong, but due to family history and a number of other reasons, I think she definitely needs to get checked out.

While my parents were at the ER, I got to spend the evening with Kaedmon, who was over here to have a “pajama party” with us while his sister went on a “date” with her daddy and Vanessa got some quiet time to write and relax. I probably let him watch a little more TV than I really should have, but I needed to go over my lesson plans for tomorrow, is what it is.

Anyway, it was an eventful, somewhat stressful day, but on the whole, I felt good about it. I certainly didn't feel “adrift” today, and I'm glad to have my connections to my family and to my new life in Seattle reinforced in a number of ways. Even the challenging moments had perks to them—like, for example, even though my mom had to get picked up by an ambulance, the ambulance came fully equipped with friendly and handsome firefighter/EMTs. My mom and I both enjoyed the view. XD (As did Kaedmon, who loved the big trucks with flashing lights.)

There were some lovely, peaceful moments, too, like when I was driving on the bridge over Lake Washington and enjoying the view of the bright autumn colors of the treeline against the blue water on one side and white sky on the other.

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

~ e.e. cummings

I'm thankful.

Tags: nanojoumo, real life

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded