Some recommended reading: The Premature Prediction ~ A very interesting prediction about how the end of Book 7 might go down, with some thoughts on the origin of Lord Voldemort and the nature of the connection between him and Harry. This is a follow-up to The Changeling Hypothesis, which you might want to check out, also, if you haven't already.
And a little meme gacked from claudia_k.
Come up with your own movie “Top 5” category (for example, “The Top 5 Best Insults”). Or you can steal someone else’s category—we’re easy! Then list the relevant movies/scenes.
I do not consider this to be a definitive list of the top five movies in this category, nor are they even necessarily my five favorites, but they are the five movies I like in this category which first came to mind.
Joie's Top Five Cinematic Surprise Endings:
5. Memento ~ I love non-chronological story-telling, and the way this movie works from the two bookends to a climatic point in the middle that Explains It All never fails to impress me.
4. Gosford Park ~ Definitely not your average whodunnit. The answer to this mystery is heartbreaking and perfect. And the fact that's it's solved by perhaps the only character worthy of knowing the truth (hint: it's not the idiotic detective sent in to investigate the case) makes it even better.
3. The Trouble with Angels ~ This lesser-known Hayley Mills film is a favorite of mine. It fools you into thinking it's nothing more than a light-hearted comedy about schoolgirls' pranks, but the girls' final year of school brings the story to an unexpected and poignant conclusion.
2. The Sixth Sense ~ One of those great twist endings that just completely pulls the rug out from under you, and makes you rethink all your previous assumptions.
1. The Empire Strikes Back ~ What can I say? It's classic. And I obviously have Star Wars on my mind lately. ;)